top of page
Ketamine Assisted Psychotherapy
Higher Ground Wellness therapists provide ketamine assisted psychotherapy to individuals who are currently undergoing treatment with a prescriber/provider.
HGW does not prescribe ketamine but does offer supportive and non-judgmental clinical support for your experience and processing.
We provide sessions that are between 60 minutes to 120 minutes to assist clients with processing their experience with ketamine.
"Ketamine expands you; it gives you room to recognize when you've become triggered. You can't see the forest when you're smashed against a tree."
What is Ketamine Counseling?
Ketamine is an anesthetic medication that has been used for decades in medical settings. In recent years, there has been growing interest in its potential therapeutic benefits, particularly in the field of mental health.
Ketamine-assisted therapy, when conducted under the guidance of a trained professional, involves the administration of ketamine in a controlled and monitored setting, combined with therapeutic support.
Benefits of Ketamine
Here are some potential benefits of ketamine counseling that have been reported anecdotally and in preliminary research:
1. Rapid Relief: Ketamine has shown promising results in providing rapid relief from symptoms of depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other mental health conditions. Some individuals may experience improvement within hours or days, as opposed to weeks or months with traditional antidepressant medications.
2. Enhanced Therapeutic Process: Ketamine can help facilitate deeper introspection and insights during therapy sessions. It may help individuals access and process difficult emotions or traumatic memories more effectively, leading to enhanced therapeutic outcomes.
3. Neuroplasticity: Ketamine has been suggested to promote the growth of new neural connections in the brain, potentially aiding in the rewiring of dysfunctional neural pathways associated with mental health disorders.
4. Reduction of Suicidal Thoughts: Studies have shown that ketamine can have a rapid and significant impact on reducing suicidal ideation in individuals experiencing severe depression. This aspect can be particularly crucial in emergency situations.
5. Increased Emotional Resilience: Ketamine may help individuals develop greater emotional resilience and coping skills, enabling them to better manage stress, anxiety, and depressive symptoms.
It's important to note that ketamine-assisted therapy is a relatively new and evolving field, and more research is needed to establish its long-term effectiveness, safety, and appropriate clinical guidelines. It should always be administered under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional in a controlled environment.
How do I know if I would be a good candidate for ketamine treatment?
A professional and qualified healthcare provider will help with providing a proper evaluation and assessment to determine your qualifications and to determine if ketamine would be right for you.
Here are some other factors that may be considered to assess suitability of treatment:
1. Mental Health Condition: Ketamine-assisted therapy has shown promise in treating conditions such as depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and some chronic pain conditions. A patient with one of these conditions may be considered for ketamine therapy, especially if traditional treatments have been ineffective or poorly tolerated.
2. Treatment Resistance: Ketamine-assisted therapy may be considered for individuals who have not responded well to traditional treatments like medications or psychotherapy. It is often used as an alternative or adjunctive treatment when other approaches have been ineffective.
3. Severity of Symptoms: Ketamine therapy might be more suitable for individuals with severe or treatment-resistant symptoms that significantly impact their quality of life and functioning. The severity and chronicity of symptoms are important considerations in determining the potential benefits of ketamine treatment.
4. Medical History and Current Medications: A thorough medical evaluation is essential to ensure the patient's safety during ketamine administration. Certain medical conditions or medications may contraindicate the use of ketamine or require careful monitoring and adjustment. It's important to disclose your complete medical history and provide a list of current medications to the healthcare professional.
5. Personal Readiness: Willingness to engage in therapy and actively participate in the treatment process is important. Ketamine-assisted therapy often involves integrating the ketamine experience into therapeutic sessions to explore emotions, insights, and personal growth. A patient should be open to this approach and have a level of psychological readiness for the therapy.
6. Understanding of Risks and Benefits: A patient should have a clear understanding of the potential risks, benefits, and limitations of ketamine-assisted therapy. This understanding helps in making an informed decision about pursuing this treatment modality.
Ultimately, the decision of whether someone is a good candidate for ketamine-assisted therapy is made on an individual basis, considering their specific circumstances and in consultation with a qualified healthcare professional. It's important to have an open and honest discussion with the provider, ask questions, and express any concerns to ensure the treatment aligns with your needs and goals.
If you are interested in learning more and communicating with a therapist at HGW about the possibility of treatment please reach out to us below to fill out a contact form and book a free phone consultation.
Resources to check out
Christi Myers speaks about Ketamine treatment and understanding ketamine treatment. Click here
Learn about Ketamine and Depression and how Ketamine works within our brain to increase neural plasticity. Click here.
Learn about Nue Life and the benefits of using at home and self-administered oral Ketamine. This is not recommended for all clients but many of our clients do utilize this service. Click here.
Check out one of our local prescribers that we collaborate and coordinate with. Greater Wellness Clinic located in Tampa, FL.
bottom of page